John M. Edgar
John M. Edgar is the Managing Partner of Edgar Law Firm LLC. He and his sons John F. and David W. Edgar founded the firm in 2002 to provide businesses with the responsive, personal service they need in high stakes litigation. Their ability to move cases to court quickly and efficiently has resulted in numerous settlements for their clients in the past six years. That success drives referrals from experienced litigators across the country.
Edgar has over 40 years of lead trial experience practicing in federal and state courts throughout the U.S. While he now practices exclusively on behalf of plaintiffs, he spent many years on the defense side of the courtroom. That valuable expertise helps him and his team quickly assess potential defensive actions, develop counter actions and implement winning strategies.
Edgar's leadership in the legal and civic communities is legendary. He served in a management role at Stinson Mag & Fizzell (now Stinson Morrison Hecker with 360 attorneys), later leaving to establish and become Managing Partner of the Kansas City office of Bryan Cave (currently more than 1,100 attorneys firm wide). He was responsible for the establishment of that office with two associates, and its growth to over 100 lawyers in only seven years. He also served as one of five partners on the Management Group of Bryan Cave with responsibilities for practice management world-wide and on the firm's Executive Committee. He was President of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, served as Chairman of the Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City and was Founding Co-Chairman of the Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute. Additionally, he has served as Chairman or Executive Board member of virtually every major business and development organization in the region. His passion for the growth and development of the region is surpassed only by his commitment and dedication to his clients.
Edgar is known throughout the legal community, by former partners and from coast to coast as a go-to trial lawyer for high-stakes and bet-the company cases – the legal solution to business disputes. He has been repeatedly recognized in Super Lawyers and “Best of the Bar.” He has been the winning, lead trial lawyer on some of the areas most significant jury and court-tried disputes.
Most recently, Edgar represented the redevelopers of Kansas City's President Hotel in a lawsuit against a Cleveland-based law firm, Squire Sanders & Dempsey LLP. Following a six week trial, Edgar Law Firm negotiated a $43 million settlement for their client.
In Sugar Creek v. Station Casinos, Edgar Law Firm LLC asserted claims against the successful applicant for a license to operate a riverboat casino in Jackson County alleging the use of improper means to obtain its license including tortuous interference with business expectancies, fraudulent concealment and fraud by silence. A settlement was reached, as Station Casinos reported in its public filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and Station Casinos paid our clients $38 million.
Edgar is well known for his work and has special expertise in commercial litigation including commercial fraud, business torts, contract disputes, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, construction, labor & employment, antitrust, environmental, securities, real estate, shareholder disputes, regulatory disputes, class actions and consumer protection.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Torts
- Employment Law
- Construction Law
- Legal Malpractice
- Missouri, 1968
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- Juris Doctorate - 1968
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Order of Bench and Robe
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
- Bachelor of Science - 1965
- Honors: Business Administration
- Major: Accounting
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Super Lawyers and "Best of the Bar"
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas City Symphony, Board of Directors, 2009 - 2015
- Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City, Missouri, Board of Directors, 1996 - 2003
- Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City, Missouri, Chairman, 1999 - 2003
- Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City, Missouri, EDC Loan Corporation, Board of Directors, 1996 - 2003
- Midwest Research Institute, Board of Trustees, 2000 - Present
- Heart of America Council Boy Scouts of America, Executive Board, 2000 - Present
- Heart of America Council Boy Scouts of America, Executive Committee, 2000 - 2015
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2000 - 2003
- Civic Council of Greater Kansas City, Board of Directors, 2000 - 2001
- Civic Council of Greater Kansas City, Member, 1996 - 2001
- Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute, Founding Co-Chairman, 2000 - 2001
- Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute, Board of Directors, 2000 - 2001
- Kansas City Area Development Council, Executive Committee, 1997 - 2003
- Kansas City Area Development Council-Civic Council Life Sciences Task Force, Co-Chairman, 1998 - 1999
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- American Association for Justice , Member
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law Foundation, Board of Trustees, 1996 - 2004
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Board of Directors, 1996 - 2002
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, President, 2002
- Phi Alpha Delta