John F. Edgar is one of the founding partners of Edgar Law Firm LLC. The Firm was founded in 2002 to provide clients with the responsive, personal service they require in high-stakes, complex litigation.
Edgar is well known for his work in complex commercial and class action litigation in courts throughout the country. Clients turn to Edgar counting on his courtroom skills and strategy in high-profile litigation where the last thing the client needs is a large law firm charging massive hourly rates. Indeed, Edgar believes that the attorney and client create a team working together in order to reach the ultimate goals of the client. Edgar's clients receive personal and responsive communication, as well as regular updates about the client's pending matter. It is Edgar's philosophy to move the client's matter to trial in the most quick and efficient manner possible.
Over his extensive career, Edgar has served as lead counsel in a multitude of successful, highly publicized commercial and class actions against some of the largest corporations in the world, and also against some of the largest law firms in the world representing them. In one such case, Edgar served as co-lead trial counsel in one of the longest jury trials in the history of the United States. Edgar has successfully prosecuted matters in the areas of commercial litigation, fraud/misrepresentation, breach of contract, legal malpractice, securities, and other business torts. He has also prosecuted hundreds of class actions in the areas of consumer protection, product liability/defective products, environmental contamination, securities, wage/overtime, antitrust, and ERISA/employee benefits.
Edgar serves in key leadership roles throughout the legal and business communities and serves on the Board of Governors for the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys. He is a former Board member of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association. John F. Edgar was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He currently lives in Leawood, Kansas with his wife Keiko, and his four children Isabella, Emma, Deya, and Sloane. Edgar enjoys spending time with his family, as well as playing an occasional round of golf.
Areas of Practice
- Class Actions
- Consumer Protection
- Complex and Commercial Litigation
- Legal Malpractice
- Business Torts
- ERISA/Employee Benefits
- Product Liability/Defective Products
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- Juris Doctorate - 1996
- Honors: AAJ National Trial Team
- University of Kansas
- Bachelor of Arts
- Honors: Kappa Sigma Social Fraternity
- Major: Communications/Public Speaking
- Major: Psychology
- Dart Cherokee Basis Operating Company, LLC v. Owens, 730 F.3d 1234 (10th Cir. 2013)
- Corson v. Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., WL 1802709 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Lagen v. United Continental Holdings, Inc., 920 F.Supp.2d 912 (N.D. Ill. 2013)
- Laughlin v. Target Corp., WL 3065551 (D. Minn. 2012)
- Rhodenbaugh v. CVS Pharmacy, Inc., 372 S.W.3d 922 (Mo. App. W.D. 2012)
- Jayhawk Capital Management, LLC, et al. v. LSB Industries, Inc., et al.,, Case No. 08-2561-EFM, 2011
- Jayhawk Capital Management, LLC, et al. v. LSB Industries, Inc., et al., WL 1626581, 2011, D. Kan.
- Midland Pizza, LLC, et al. v. Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, d/b/a AT&T Kansas, et al., Case No. 10-2219-CM-GLR, 2010
- Midland Pizza, LLC, et al. v. Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, d/b/a AT&T Kansas, et al., WL 4622191, 2010, D. Kan.
- Jayhawk Capital Management, LLC, et al. v. LSB Industries, Inc., et al., Case No. 08-2561-EFM, 2011
- Jayhawk Capital Management, LLC, et al. v. LSB Industries, Inc., et al., WL 3766371, 2009, D. Kan.
- Major Cadillac, Inc. v. General Motors Corporation, 280 S.W.3d 717, 2009, Mo. App.
- Major Cadillac, Inc., et al. v. General Motors Corporation, et al., Case No., 07-0868-CV-W-FJG, 2008
- Major Cadillac, Inc., et al. v. General Motors Corporation, et al., Case No., WL 482398, 2008, W.D. Mo.
- In re Faro Technologies Securities Litigation, 534 F.Supp.2d 1248, 2007, M.D. Fla.
- City of Neodesha, Kansas, et al, v. BP Corporation North America, Inc., et al., 355 F.Supp.2d 1182, 2005, D. Kan.
- Muller, et al. v. American Management Association International, 315 F.Supp.2d 1136, 2003, D. Kan.
- Austin v. Union Bond & Trust Co., WL 1257897 (D. of Oregon 2016)
- Johnson v. Safe Auto Insurance Co., WL 12806579 (Mo. App. 2015)
- Golden Star, Inc., et al. v. Mass Mutual Life Insurance Co., 22 F.Supp.3d 72 (D. Mass. 2014)
- Marentes v. Impac Funding Corp., WL 2157539 (Cal. App. 2014)
- Emerging Trends in Class Actions (Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association Annual Conference 2016)
- Insiders’ Guide to Class Action Litigation (Association of Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City Annual Conference 2012)
- Establishing a Theme in a Commercial Litigation Trial (Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys Annual Conference 2009)
- Rainmaking: Practice Development for Young Lawyers (Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association 1999)
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell Rated AV Preeminent
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers
- Lawdragon 3000 Leading Lawyers in America
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal
- Super Lawyers
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice , Member
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Past President
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Past Board Member
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Member
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, Board of Governors
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- Kansas Association for Justice , Member
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
- Ross T. Roberts Inn of Court, Graduate
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Civic Council of Greater Kansas City, Kansas City Tomorrow Class of 2001
- Kansas City Symphony Society
- Midwest Innocence Project – Board of Directors